Video games sales across the world
In this post the work was done using Python, Power BI and Excel.
Let’s start with Python and explore the data:
Here are Excel pivot tables which conclusions were used in the above Python program:
Further we used the data we cleaned and optimized in Python to construct a dashboard in Power BI. But not having a paid licence at the moment, it wasn’t an option to embed it in the blog as a dashboard, just as a PDF. 🙁
It comes now very handy to draw the conclusions which will improve the business decisions:
- Over the last few years there is decrease in the games which have crossed 100K copies sales.
- In fact last 5-6 years has seen decrease in the revenue.
- Nintendo is the top most publisher by revenue.
- Action is the top most genre by revenue.
- Play Station is the most popular platform.
- EA is the top most publisher by number of releases.
- Platform Genre generated most revenue per release.
- Wii Sports is the top most game by revenue.
- North America and Europe contribute 75% of the market share by revenue.
- Japan is crazy about role-playing games. It’s the only category in which has the highest sales.